Friday, September 16, 2011

Chivalry is not dead...it is in hiding

As I dropped off my daughter this morning, I saw a parent and child that I was not familiar with.  In day care circles this means that the person is new or they are "off cycle".  Everyone comes around the same time every day.  You get accustomed to seeing the same kids and parents.  We don't know each others names, but only as "so-and-so's" mom/dad.  When you are "off cycle" then you have some schedule changes that force you coming at a different time.

This mom was definitely dealing with schedule changes.  She interacted with the teacher, knew them by name (which is a hell of a lot better than me).  Her and her son seemed very nice.  After saying my good bye's to my daughter,  and telling her what's for dinner (she needs to know what's for dinner), I head to my car.

As I am leaving the parking lot, I see her walking up the street.

This it the dilemma:
If I don't ask her if she needs a ride, I look like a complete douche.  If I do ask her, then I look like a creepy guy.  I am going the same way as her, her son goes to the same school as my daughter, she saw me with my daughter in the school.

So I gave her a ride.  Upon entering my car she felt obliged to tell me that she never excepts rides and I in turn needed to tell her I never offer.  I never offer, because I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable or seem like a creepy guy.

I feel like I have to explain all this in detail, and am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.  Look people, chivalry and good manners has not gone the way of horse driven carts.  It is very much alive and well.  It is hard to pull over and offer someone help, and they look at you like you are an axe murderer.  I know that everyone should be cautious, and don't want to change that.  I just want everyone to be aware that there are men out there that have good intentions.  Despite the uncomfortableness of helping someone, I will continue to offer.  Until I get a face full of mace, then you are all on your own.

Epilogue...
She needed a ride to an office located on Magnolia.  This is the biggest street in our city.  No problem, she said that it was just down the street.  9 miles later, we arrive at our destination.  Good thing it was in the opposite direction from my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment