Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Life, death and the important stuff in between.

Yesterday I attended a memorial service for a dear friend.

Angie and her family gave me my first job.  This is where I learned the basis of the leadership that I use every day.  This is where I grew up.

In the past few years, I was the pole bearer for her husband Mike.  Who taught me to keep your nose to the grind stone, never ask anyone to do anything, you don't know how to do and the harshest management style known to mankind.

Her son Chris was my first mentor.  He taught me customer service, dedication and how to be a true leader.  He was a good friend and I miss him dearly.  He passed away about a year ago.

Angie was the foundation for the whole family.  She was prim and proper in a sea of dirt and grease.  She believed in me, no matter what.  She always made sure I knew, I was family.

This was a huge loss and sent me into a sad state.  It wasn't just that Angie passed.  It was like Mike and Chris dying all over again.  To see the other family members, and offer my condolences.  I felt like I was saying sorry, for ALL the losses.  This was very apparent when one of the surviving sons, broke down with me.  We sobbed for everyone.

My wife is very supportive, and lets me deal with my sadness my own way.  I love the memory of my friends and carry on their legacy in everything I do.  I am fortunate that I am in a position that allows me the opportunity to teach other people leadership fundamentals.  This is how I repay them, for all they did for me.

After the services, I took off my suit jacket and we picked up our kids.  When we got home, I stayed in the garage to take some things out of the car.  In order to save time, I put on my jacket and walked in the house.  My daughter turned around and says: "Why are you so dressed up?  You look very handsome."

In one simple conversation, everything is right in the world.  Everything will be ok.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, my love, everything will be okay. The universe unfolds just as it should. Not the way we want or think we need but just as it should.

    ReplyDelete