Tuesday, April 26, 2011

forms of payment

I like cheap Chinese food.  The food that is not entirely healthy, but it makes up for it in sheer volume. Don't judge me.  We all have these guilty pleasures.  I don't think this is really Chinese food, just food that Americans have accepted as Chinese food.  I doubt anyone in China is ordering a two item combo with chow mien teriyaki chicken and mongolian beef.
These places are fairly easy to find.  They are the little hole in the walls where most of the food is kept under heat lamps.  I go to the ones that have a line of people, and stay clear of the ones that sell donuts, fried chicken, fish and chips, pagers, cell phones and cash checks.  There is no way they can do all these things well, let alone mediocre.
The one I frequent the most, The Ho-Ho (no I am not kidding), is pretty good.  This is the highest rating a place like this can get, the lowest rating is: bring a stomach pump.  These places are not limited to impoverished areas.  You can find them at most shopping centers and malls.
I did not think The Ho-Ho was in a bad neighborhood, but my wife insists that I am not a good judge of these sort of things.  Because I grew up in the barrio/ghetto, as long as nobody is actively being beaten, stabbed or shot on the street...it is not that bad.
Recently while visiting The Ho-Ho, I have changed my mind about how I have been assessing bad neighborhoods.  I noticed that there was a sign by the cash register that stipulated the forms of payment that are NOT accepted.
If you are in an establishment that has ever been offered a business card as payment, it is not a good neighborhood.  I'm not sure who would do this, and I feel like they may have gotten away with it at one point.  They must have, for them to make a sign.
Can you imagine that conversation..."just put it on my business card"

1 comment:

  1. It probably would have been easier to just write what forms of payment the DO accept.
    What's left? Visa, Mastercard or cash.

    I don't understand why businesses elect to not accept certain credit cards... why would you limit the way you can make money?
    "That will be $9.95, sir. Oh, woh! Hold up... Are you trying to pay with a Discover card? I'm going to have to ask you to leave. We don't serve your kind here."

    ReplyDelete