Friday, December 3, 2010

Tip or NOT to tip...that is the quesion

What did the Leper say to the prostitute?...Keep the tip

Sorry, I could not resist.

I was hanging out at "ok, I know nothing", where the subject was tipping. This is a sensitive subject with me, something I am very passionate about. I do not mind showing my appreciation for services. But nowadays, I see a lot of tip abuse. The tip cup is often used as a way to intimidate people into giving a tip.

I tip when it is appropriate or when someone goes above the call of duty to provide great service. Restaurant, bar, etc.

If you work at a donut shop, and you hand me a donut. Do not expect a tip. What the hell is wrong with you. You are giving me a donut.

7-11? I am not going to give you a tip for ringing up my slurpee and beef jerky.

I order regular coffee at Starbucks. Just regular coffee, nothing fancy. Don't expect a tip for pouring it. If I walk up and order a foo-foo drink that takes some craftsmanship, then we will talk.

Fast Food establishments? I went to a Mexican fast food joint, there sitting on the window sill of the drive thru. You will not get a tip for handing me a burrito.

This epidemic is spreading across the country. So, we either band together and tell them to get a clue or we make it a common practice for EVERYONE.

At your Human Resources department, "Thank you for giving me benefits information, here is a dollar for your trouble"

Sign at Doctors office: "Gratuity will be automatically added to your bill with all services that deal with colon"

There are an endless stream of people that I would LOVE to tip.
  • People at the DMV-They would have a different perspective if they thought it would effect their tip.
  • Ride attendant in Disneyland-How much is it worth to you, if you did not have to stand in line
  • Cable guy- I know he will be able to tell me an exact time of arrival, if he was expecting a tip.
  • Police Officer-"Honest officer, it's not a bribe it's a tip"
America should not be held hostage by people that THINK they should be tipped. People in the food industry try to anticipate your needs and physically bring you food and drink. That is who you should tip.

If you work behind a counter, you are not really going out of your way. You want to impress me...come to the parking lot, ask for my order and bring me a coffee.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN! We should also discuss nail salons, hair salons, etc. because that is already expensive for what they're doing and they expect a tip on top of that! And thank God I don't live in a nice building with a doorman or know my postal workers because I would never give them tips (unless, like you said, they did more than was expected like helped me carry ten bags up the stairs) because all they did was what they were supposed to do! AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Why do we have to tip people for doing their job? If we didn't go to the coffee shop, they wouldn't have jobs. So if we do go to the coffee shop we're expected to pay for our coffee, and then pay the guy who pours the coffee? Isn't that what the employer is supposed to do?
    Maybe we should switch to a treat based tipping culture. It works when you're training a dog. "Sit! Good boy, here is a Snausage." Now it could be. "Pour that coffee. Way to go, Philip! Here is a Jolly Rancher."

    ReplyDelete