Monday, January 24, 2011

Secret Weapon

When I recently came back from vacation, I returned with a mission for weight loss.  I was very open to my coworkers, I weigh myself in my office and update everyone weekly.  This has started an argument about how we all need to lose weight, that in turn led to a challenge.  We broke off into five teams of two and are weighing in weekly.  They say it is like The Biggest Loser, but since I don't watch reality TV, they could have inserted any name in there.


My team mate in this challenge is my Assistant Manager.  She is not doing this because I ordered her, even though I would have if I thought it would make a difference.  She came back from the holidays too with this passion.  She however joined one of those programs that they send you a box of food that is so crappy, you lose weight.  We have been doing good, but one team is doing better.  The other team is starving themselves in order to get the desired results.  Then they are going to reward themselves by eating a side of beef washed down with a keg of beer.  My team is taking the healthy approach.  We are changing the way we see food.  It is with the slow and steady approach that will prevail.  Think Tortoise and the Hare.

Recently my wife found a pasta substitute (Tofu Shirataki) that has us a buzz.  It has become our secret weapon.  It is made of tofu and root vegetable and is 20 calories per 4oz. serving.  Compare that to spaghetti pasta that is 210 calories per 2oz. serving.  This is AWESOME.

You can find this in the tofu section in select grocery stores (Sprouts, Henrys etc).  It is packed in water, and you need to rinse first.  After rinsing you drop into boiling water for 2-3 min.  That is it.  I have had it a few times and have heavily invested in the product.  It is a little rubbery, but for 20 calories it tastes great.  It comes in 8oz. packages, so I feel zero guilt eating a whole package and topping with a moderate sauce. 

I highly recommend this product.  I have had this as regular spaghetti and it was very filling.  Recently I cooked up a pack, added some light marina, sun dried tomatoes and half a chicken breast and was not able to finish it. 

Of course me and my weight loss team mate are not telling the rest of the teams. 

3 comments:

  1. We tried this once with little success but since you posted about it, I'll try it again. Even as a tofu-lover, it sorta freaks me out. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. adding stuff to it is key. Because it is so low in calories, I add whatever I want...in moderation. roasted bell peppers and capers with a 1/4 cup white sauce is still healthy. I also add my stand by, which is Sriacha hot sauce (the rooster sauce).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I'd be willing to give this stuff another shot. I think the one we tried was a tofu soba noodle which was a little weird. This one looks better. I'll work this into the menu when we go grocery shopping next week.

    ReplyDelete