Thursday, February 24, 2011

Anthony Bordain

This past weekend, my wife and I went to see Anthony Bordain, Celebrity Chef/ Author/ Travel Channel host extraordinaire.   He is exactly like you would imagine.  He is living the Punk Rock dream, it is awesome.  He gets to say, do and go wherever he wants.
There were many things that he talked about, that struck a personal chord.  For example; He mentioned Giada De Laurentiis' (Food Network, Everyday Italian) large head.  This made me want to do a touchdown dance.  I tell my wife on a regular basis, that Giada has a huge PEZ head, and I would not be surprised if it flipped back on its hinge and a candy flew out.
Anthony came out and declared that he will not be saying anything bad about Rachael Ray.  This was a little disappointing to the audience.  He has made a lot of comments about her in the past including calling her a bobble-head.  He referenced a quote that he made on one of his blogs:
“Rachael Ray, it appears, when booking acts for her South By Southwest indie rock-meets-Sloppy Joes fest, invited the New York Dolls to perform. THE NEW YORK DOLLS!! It is an article of faith with me that the Dolls were one of the greatest, most important, criminally neglected, wildly influential bands in the history of well ... the freakin’ UNIVERSE!!  This development ... has caused me no small amount of confusion, panic and misery. I don’t know whether to go out and shoot a puppy, or send Rachael a fruit basket."
Shortly after making this comment, He returned to his New York apartment to be greeted by a huge fruit basket.  Attached to it was a note "please don't shoot a puppy, love Rachael."
I stared at Anthony in disbelief.  Not that she sent the fruit basket, or is genuinely a nice person.  No, it is because she listens to the New York Dolls!  To any music fan, this gives her immediate street cred.   I expect Rod Serling to walk in the door and narrate this alternate universe.
I tell you right now, if I find out that Martha Stewart has a Suicidal Tendencies tattoo across her stomach, is belting out vintage Tom Waits or Nick Lowe tunes, then I will be moving to a deserted island.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about the Suicidal Tendencies tattoo, but I'm pretty sure I saw Martha pogo dancing in the audience while I was watching The Decline of Western Civilization. Just kidding.

    Also I agree... Giada's head looks like a tennis ball on a toothpick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TODD ALWAYS COMPLAINS ABOUT GIADA'S HEAD AND GIANT HANDS!

    In other news, I am not sure I like Bourdain. I think he's cool but he uses his cool to be mean to people and one some level, he's the Kathy Griffin of chefs because he's just spewing hate about other people. I saw an episode of his show where he and his brother traveled back to a part of France where they used to visit as children and it touched me how emotional Bourdain was. I don't know...I'm conflicted.

    ReplyDelete