Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Highs and Lows

I am 6 foot 2 inches, that makes me tall. Not a giant, not abnormal, just tall.  All my long sleeve shirts are tall.  They have to be, or the sleeves ride up on me and I look like I am wearing my son's clothes.  That makes it official.

Because I am tall, it makes me appreciate, what I would consider the finer things in life.  Hotels that have the shower head higher than 6 1/2 feet is a luxury.  It really sucks when you have to stoop down to wash your hair.  Speaking of bathrooms.  I want to say it loud and proud...I love ADA toilets!  These are the tall toilets that make shorter people feel like a gargoyle on the edge of a building.  This normally does not apply to urinals.  If they are too short, tall men simply (ahem) adjust their aim.

I went into a men's room recently and was shocked.  There was a urinal that was mounted closer to the ceiling than the floor.  I was just tall enough to use it (sorry for the visual).  It was bizarre.
I know there are standards that the ADA has for minimum urinal height.  Mostly to accommodate midgets.  It stands to reason there should be a cap on maximum height as well.

This may fall into the category, that tall people sometimes forget they are tall.  We hang things on our walls that are too high for most people to see.  We hit our heads on EVERYTHING.  Maybe, just maybe, tall people should not be allowed to install urinals.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same height, so I know what you mean.

    Also, I think there should be some sort of standardization on urinal placement. Some are too high, even for tall people. Some are too low to be used by tall people. Some places have the kind that are really long, that go from high on the wall all the way down to the floor. That works for everyone.
    I also think that there should be a limit to how close you can put them together. I was using a urinal recently that was almost touching the one next to it. I don't like to be too close to strangers in general, but it's really awkward you're peeing and basically touching elbows with the guy next to you.

    ReplyDelete