Wednesday, May 11, 2011

for corn's sake!

In the previous blog, I talked about my colon.  This post is in no way associated to the aforementioned area.  Nor, do I want to give the impression that my current health issues are somehow related to or a direct result of.  I say what is on my mind, so don't read into it.  Let's just chalk it up to bad timing.

Corn is one of the staples in my household.  We may not eat it that often, but I always keep some on hand.  Great for a quick stir fry and easy compliment to any meal.  I prefer fresh corn, but don't mind canned.

For a special treat, I bust open a can of Mexicorn.  Mmmmm, I love me the Mexicorn.  You have seen it before, it is on the top shelf near the other cans of corn.  What makes it special is the mix of corn AND bell pepper.  That is where it is at.

Now, as much as love the product, I am having a tough time wrapping my head around a few things.  Green Giant makes this, and do a damn good job of it, but why doesn't anyone else?  There are hundreds of different companies that can manage to put corn into cans.  Is Green Giant the only ones that have this recipe?  It is corn and bell peppers, not that hard to figure out.  Maybe the competitors don't want to break into this market due to financial reasons.  Yet, every grocery store carries it, so I imagine that there is a market for it.  Other than adding the bell peppers, it seems to have a pretty low cost overhead.

What happened to completion? They are obviously very smug about their monopoly on Mexicorn.  They have some sort of attitude about it, because they only sell it in 7oz. cans!  Not only are they the only ones that sell it, they make you buy tiny cans to make you spend more.  Is this the division that is run by the Green Giants side kick Sprout?  Where he has tiny machines that only put out 7oz. cans?!?!

Someone has to step up, and take on the Giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment