Friday, May 6, 2011

Oui!

I am not the most organized person in the world, so in order to be an effective leader, I rely heavily on my assistant.  I in turn reward them with riches, relaxed comfortable atmosphere, and me as a great boss.  This is all from my point of view, but rest assured it is universally agreed upon that I am an awesome boss.  If they fail to agree on my awesomeness, they risk getting shot with a rubber band.

Some years ago, my Assistant (at the time) Heather, informs me that it was nearing my Managers birthday.  I hate to sound like a character from "Mad Men", but these things  that are warm and fuzzy  are a part of her job.  I have no problem using her to this capacity.  I hand her a catalog and ask her to pick something fun out for her.  The catalog is Uncommon Goods.  It is the perfect place to order something online that is quirky and unique.  I ordered my previous Assistant, who was a Psychology major, Freudian slippers.  That is fun.

After flipping through the catalog, she announced she has found the perfect gift.  A metal tampon case, that has Owie, Owie printed on it.  That is perfect.  I ask Heather to order it, and congratulated her on a job well done.  Shortly after this, she hands me the confirmation for the order.  This is when things went sour.

I ask Heather what the tampon case has on it.  This seems like a condescending question, considering I was holding the order confirmation.  In a snarky tone, she replies back, "Owie, Owie".  Then went into a dissertation about her reading skills and that she knows what she ordered.  When she was done, I told her that it says "Oui, Oui".  This came as a shock to her.  She argued that she should not be expected to read French.  I agree that it is a French word, but it is not unusual to see it in print.

I took French in High School, Heather felt this gave me an unfair advantage.  Although I contest that all I learned is how to ask for a cup of coffee and the going on's of Pierre and Mireille.  She then gets up on her soapbox and declares that it is stupid that it is mandatory to learn a different language in high school, that they should make it mandatory that kids learn English.

The last thing I said to her, before she stopped speaking to me for the rest of the day was "four years of English IS mandatory in High School"

1 comment: